Last time in this space, I outlined some recent enhancements to PORTIA functions, integration points and more, in an effort to make sure clients are aware of all the ways PORTIA can help streamline and strengthen their investment operations. In this post, I’d like to highlight some additional capabilities that deserve attention as valuable extensions of your platform.
A PORTIA module may be exactly what you need to address a particular operational challenge, and because it is within PORTIA, it’s already integrated. There is no need to build costly workarounds or bolt on outside services that could present compatibility issues and require separate ongoing maintenance or upgrades.
Our modules can also provide you with expanded bandwidth by automating manual and time-intensive activities. This will free up your time and allow you to focus on more value-added activities that leverage your knowledge and expertise.
Learn about some of our modules that offer real solutions to your operational challenges:
- If you spend too much time running multiple reports and pulling statistics just to get a handle on the state of your investment operations, the Explorer module could help. Explorer’s data visualization tool lets you quickly see both the overall status of your operations as well as individual portfolio information in a graphical format. This capability reduces the requirement to run multiple reports and gives users the ability to slice and dice the information to suit their own preference.
- Double-entry accounting required for feeding corporate general ledgers from PORTIA means lots of extracting and transforming of data. Our Fund Accounting module now brings that integrated double-entry accounting to PORTIA, saving you valuable time. In addition to double-entry accounting, the Fund Accounting module enables you to calculate a net asset value (NAV), accruals and expenses, subscriptions and redemptions, and a unit price, all from the same solution. IFRS9 and US GAAP are fully supported within the Fund Accounting module, which allows you to create balance sheets, P&L statements and trial balances in multiple accounting methodologies without the need to rekey information on multiple occasions. A single transaction can now be accounted for in numerous ways in a single transaction entry screen.
- To simplify and streamline buying, trading and managing swaps, PORTIA offers the Swap Manager, which tracks individual legs of a swap, which can be automatically tied together to show the contract-level values.
- The Corporate Actions Manager automates the workflow to prepare for and process corporate actions by ingesting data from multiple sources and allowing the user to choose the golden record. It also offers the ability to process corporate actions across multiple portfolios with a single click.
- If you scramble to prepare for audits and track down security changes over time, let the Historical Security Master File (HSMF) take on the chore. The HSMF module helps you be audit-ready with point-in-time pricing and reference data, which means you can comfortably track security changes, such as ratings, over time. With the HSMF module in place, once you select to track historical changes across a given portfolio, you can be confident you are catching all the historical security master data points.
It’s easy to strengthen your PORTIA system through these add-on modules. When evaluating your investment operations you may want to ask about these or other modules. PORTIA is also compatible and integrated with our Recon, Vision and Sylvan solutions, which eliminates integration problems among investment operations, reconciliation, performance measurement and reporting systems. All these solutions are within SS&C’s stable of offerings—and would position your firm and your operations well for the future.
If you have any questions about PORTIA enhancements, modules or built-in integrations, please contact me for more information.
Asset Management, Company News and Events